Friday 27 May 2011

We were searching for a saviour, just like anybody else...

For the past two weeks I've been waking up each morning to pictures and blogs from The Horrible Crowes working in a studio in "a secret location on the Jersey Shore". They have completed the album now so I'm looking forward to its September release right before the Revival Tour kicks off.

Meanwhile I am preparing to record an album of my own songs. I've been writing my own material for probably nearly ten years, not all of it worth recording mind you but in the past few years the style I've been writing in has definitely matured. My concern is though that the longer time goes on, the more songs I write I'm going to end up forgetting how earlier ones were supposed to sound so I want to get them all recorded in acoustic demo form at least and then the ones I consider to be the best I hope to one day put onto an album with several instruments behind them. I guess I've reached a point where I feel I am writing songs worthy of recording. I'm not 'bigging' myself up, song writing doesn't come naturally to me. I can stare for hours at the screen and only write a few lines and I've written several 'dead wood' songs along the way but recently I'm at a stage where I'm happy with what I'm writing, a stage where I feel I'm not going to improve much more than this. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to "make it". This is a project purely for my own satisfaction but once complete if I get playing some open mics and acoustic nights that would perhaps be a good goal right now.

Recording will most likely take place in my "home studio" which may lose a bit of that studio quality but I'm optimistic about how good this can sound and would hope to have a finished product in a years time. I want this to be as good as it can be but I've still got a lot of work to do. I'm still gradually improving as a guitar player so theres that to consider and a few of the songs are still only partially written so they need to be completed, I need to re-work lyrics on a few older songs and then need to write lead guitar and bass parts for the ones that will go on the album. I will be posting samples of songs on here and maybe Soundcloud at some point and will be interested to see what you readers think. In the meantime here is a link to my song 'Sweetheart Serenade'. Its the only original song of mine available on You Tube so I hope you like it.

Sweetheart Serenade

That wasn't my song of the blog by the way. Recently I've discovered this band called Against Me!, another gem that I've plucked from the endless galaxy of music available to us. They are considered to be in the 'folk punk' genre but this isn't heavy punk rock, the lyrics are well written and the band are easily compared with bands such as Rise Against, Hot Water Music and Alkaline Trio. Here is a link to a song from their new album and this is the title track 'White Crosses'. Educate yourself.

Against Me! White Crosses

No comments:

Post a Comment